QuickBooks Export To Excel Not Working and Excel Could Not Open The Data File
At times QuickBooks users face problems that their QB software does not allow them to export information to Excel. If your QuickBooks export to Excel is not working and It does not recognize Excel that is installed in your system.
This problem mainly arises when you update your QuickBooks software. If the update is not successful you are unable to export to Excel (such as a transaction journal or account receivable aging report) or email reports as an Excel document.
The common way to resolve this issue is to do a “repair” of the installation of Microsoft Office. This will re-register all the registry keys with Windows, and generally, that lets QuickBooks recognize that Excel exists.
Exporting Quickbooks to Excel Issues
The issues usually faced by QuickBooks users because of which they are unable to export to Excel are:
- When Excel is not supported by the QuickBooks version you are using,
- Your MS Excel software is damaged,
- Your Quickbooks software might be damaged.
- Your file registry is not working properly.
How can you fix the Issue where exporting to Excel has failed?
When QuickBooks fails to export a transaction journal report to Excel, export via the Customer Center you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the Customer Center
- Locate the transaction in the transactions pane
- Right-click on the transaction you want to see a transaction journal
- Select transaction journal
- Go to the Excel button and choose Create New Worksheet to export your report to Excel
Item List needs to be opened first, and then open your report
Usually, this issue crops up if you attempt to approach your report when you were previously on a transaction form (Invoice, Sales Order, Purchase Order, Bill, etc). If you open the report after being on a non-transaction form (such as the Item list of Chart of Accounts), the report will be able to export to Excel.
- Go to List -> then open Item List
- Open any report you want under the reports menu.
- Export to Excel by clicking the Excel drop-down or email as Excel by clicking the Email button.
In this scenario, you must report the problem to QuickBooks customer care support. They are highly responsive and promptly provide the rectification through different modes like phone support, email support, or live chat. They are easily approachable and assure complete resolution in the shortest wait time.
Tracking or monitoring your business is very important to ensure the survival of the fittest in the competitive business environment.
To help you achieve your goal, QuickBooks has introduced a wide range of products. Through these products, you not only get a chance to track your organizational transactions but also enjoy managing your customers and clients easily.
QuickBooks comes with The Report Center feature that enables businesses to monitor different processes and functions, including income, expense, and overall company status.
Export to Excel
For a table-like presentation of data, there are times when you have to opt for the Export to Excel option. However, there have been instances where the exporting function fails due to some reasons. The QuickBooks Unable to Export to Excel error is quite common when you attempt to export reports to Excel.
Before you go into the details of what issues and errors arise while exporting reports to Excel as well as how to fix those errors, you should go through the steps for exporting to Excel quickly.
Steps to Export to Excel
- In QuickBooks, choose the Company
- Go to Reports, Company, and Financial, and select Profit & Loss Standard(you can select the report option you want to work on. Profit & Loss Standard is an example in this case)
- Click Excel and go to Create New Worksheet
- Click Export. The file opens in MS Excel
- Now shift to QuickBooks again, click Excel, and then Create New Worksheet
- Go to Send Report to Excel
- Click Create a comma-separated value (.csv) file
- Now click Give a file name
- Click Save
When you follow the above-mentioned steps but you are still unable to export the files and reports, it means you are facing the QuickBooks Unable to Export to Excel error. The export Excel error normally arises when you attempt to upgrade your QuickBooks software.
The unable to export to Excel after updating to QuickBooks 2016 is the most common of all scenarios that lead to the problems of exporting to Excel.
The QuickBooks Unable to Export to Excel error is caused when:
- One or more than one account in accounting CS contains the same description as provided in QuickBooks but then the account type is different for both accounting CS and QuickBooks account types.
- The export to Excel function does not recognize the exported transactions’ accounts. This may happen because the QuickBooks account numbers do not match the CS account numbers.
- The QuickBooks Transaction account details don’t match the CS accounting account details.
When you face the Unable to Export to Excel error, you come across the following issues:
- Damaged MS Excel software
- Damaged QuickBooks software
- Illegitimate or improper file registry
- Excel version not supported by QuickBooks version or vice-versa
As soon as an error is discussed, the immediate thing that strikes the mind is the solution to the problem. The steps that will help you to resolve the issue are as follows:
- Go to Customer Center. Open it
- In the transaction pane, locate the transaction
- Select the transaction. Right-click it to have a look at the transaction journal
- Select the transaction journal
- Click the Excel button
- Choose Create New Worksheet. This will export the report to Excel.
Make sure you have not left any of the transaction forms open while exporting the file or report to Excel. The transaction forms may include an Invoice, Sales Order, and Purchase Order Bill. However, if you have a non-transaction form opened, the export to Excel function will surely work. The Item List of Chart of Accounts is an example of such a non-transaction form.
Hence, it is important to open the Item List first and then go for the export function. To do this, you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Select Go to List
- Choose Open Item List
- Go to the Report Menu
- Open the report you want to export
- As the report opens, you can either:
- Click Excel drop-down export to Excel, or
- Email as Excel by clicking on the Email button
Excel Export Types
As soon as you resolve the issue, you start your attempt to export the report to Excel. However, before you do so, it is important to be aware of the export types you can choose from.
Various Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Excel Could Not Open The Data File
Many times the issue happens when you are using the old version of QuickBooks; in other words, it is not up to date. You have to first update your QuickBooks account to the latest version. To update QuickBooks Desktop 2 ways are as follows:-
A. Manual Update
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop as an Administrator
- Then click on the Help menu option
- Further, select the option Update QuickBooks
- Click on the Option Mark all and select the Save option to save the download you are updating
- Now click on the Update Now and click the option Reset Update
- Click on the button shown to you to Get Updates
- When it is done reboot the software.
B. Automatic Update
- In your system, open QuickBooks Desktop
- Select the Help menu option from the top
- For further drop-down options click on the Update QuickBooks
- Click on the button Update Now
- Now select the update and then move to the Get Updates button to click
- After that, it starts downloading the update
- Install the updates and then restart QuickBooks software
- Accept all the options for downloading the latest version and continue with the latest update.
- In your system, press the keys Windows + R together to open the Run window
- In the Run window, type the Control Panel and press the enter button
- You can also directly search in the start menu for Control Panel and press the Enter button
- In the Start menu, there is an option named Control Panel you have to click on it to open it
- Select the User Accounts then again click on the User Accounts option
- Click on the option Change User Account Control Settings
- Then you have to move the slider and set it never to notify option
- After that click on the OK button after disabling the UAC
- Set the slider again as Always Notify then click on the OK button to enable the UAC.
In this, you have to uninstall and then reinstall your QuickBooks Desktop software on your computer.
The steps are as follows:-
- After uninstalling the software, it is important to again install it in your computer to start working
- Go to the downloaded file and then double-click on it
- It prompts the installation wizard in which you have to select the recommended installation
- Follow the instructions for the installation that you get on your screen
- In the end, wait for the progress bar and click on the Finish button
- You have to open the software as the administrator and start using it.
You have to run Microsoft Excel according to your Windows version and QuickBooks Desktop Software version. Update your windows and then update the QuickBooks desktop. After all this, update the Microsoft Office that is compatible with your QuickBooks account according to the software compatibility.
The repair process is automatic. you have to run the repair using the Control Panel.
The steps are:-
- Open the Control Panel
- Then go to the Programs or Programs and Features option
- Further, you get the list of programs
- Select Microsoft Office and right-click on it
- Then click on Change/Uninstall
- Go for the repair process and follow the instructions.
After this, if the above repair process won’t work then follow the below process:-
- Uninstall the MS Office from your system
- Now again download the latest version
- After that install it in your system
- Download and install the uninstall support tool according to your browser
- If you are using Firefox browser
- In Firefox, you get a pop-up window when you download the Uninstall support tool
- In the pop-up box, click on the Save File
- After that, select the download option that is in the upper-right-side menu of the browser
- select the SetupProd_OffScrub.exe.
- If you are using Microsoft Edge or Chrome
- In these browsers, the download is shown in the button left corner of the window
- Right-clicking on the SetupProd_OffScrub.exe file
- Select the option Open the file.
- If you are using Microsoft Edge (Older version) or Internet Explorer
- In this browser, the downloaded file is shown at the bottom of the window
- Click on the Run button that runs the file SetupProd_OffScrub.exe.
- If you are using Firefox browser
- After running the file SetupProd_OffScrub.exe in your system
- You have to select the Office version you are using that you want to uninstall
- Now click on the Next button and then follow the instructions displayed to you
- When it asks for Restart your computer then click on it
- the uninstall tool opens up when the restart of the computer process is done
- Follow the rest of the instructions
- then select the steps to install or again install the Microsoft Office
- Close the Uninstall support tool.
Microsoft Office-related requirements are required for QuickBooks 2019, 2020, or 2021 versions. You have to check that it must be fulfilled.
The requirements according to the QuickBooks version are as follows:-
A. For QuickBooks 2019
- MS Office 2010, 2013, and 365 on both 32 and 64-bit
- MS Office 2016 with Outlook on both 32 and 64-bit
- To export reports requires MS Excel 2010, 2013, 2016, and 265
- For letters, you have to use Microsoft Word 2010, 2013, 2016, or Office 365
- For synchronizing with Outlook, you require the QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook. In this, the Outlook you require is MS Outlook 2010
- The email estimates, invoices, and other forms with Microsoft Outlook 2016 to 2019 MS Outlook with MS Office 365, Yahoo, Outlook, Gmail, and other SMTP email clients.
B. For QuickBooks 2020
- Microsoft Office 2010 SP2, Office 2013, and 365 that includes Outlook 2010 and 2013 on both 32 and 64-bit
- MS Office 2016 with Outlook on both 32 and 64-bit
- MS Office 2019 is compatible with the R3 and later
- Export reports using Microsoft Excel 2010 SP2, 2013, 2016, or 365
- Synchronize contacts with Microsoft Outlook using Outlook 2010 32-bit
- Invoices, email estimates, and more forms with MS Office Outlook 2010 to 2016, MS Outlook with Office 365, Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Outlook, and other email clients supporting SMTP
- For preparing the letters, you require MS Word 2010, 2013, 2016, or Office 365
C. For QuickBooks 2021
- Microsoft Office 2019
- MS Office 2013 with Outlook and Office 365 on 32 and 64-bit both
- MS Office 2016 with Outlook 2016 on both 32 and 64-bit
- For making letters that require Microsoft Word 2013, 2016, 2019, and Office 365 includes the 64-bit
- MS Outlook requires Outlook 2013, 2016, or 2019 (32-bit) for contact synchronization
- The many other forms, email estimates, and invoices with MS Outlook 2016 to 2019
- Microsoft Outlook with MS Office 365, SMTP email clients, Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook
- For synchronizing with Outlook, you require QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook.
You may also like to read:
Frequently Asked Questions
Why export is done in QuickBooks?
What to do to export the files to Excel?
- Update your QuickBooks account
- Check the requirements of the system
- Repair the MS Office
- Disable the UAC (User Account Control)
- Again install the QuickBooks.